Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Lonely Funeral

In Chapter 9 Nick tries to schedule a funeral for Gatsby. It seemed that their were so many people who cared about how Gatsby died, the story behind him, and just all the other rumors which were circled around him, that you would think plenty of these people would be at his funeral. The opposite of this happened though. Barely anyone showed up. The only people who did were Nick, Owl Eyes, Gatsby's father, and some of his servants. Nick was surprised by the fact that Owl Eyes showed up to the wedding. He said "I'd never seen him since then. I don't know how he even knew about the funeral, or even his name" (174) I'd like to know how Owl Eyes and Gatsby even knew each other. I bet that it was through the alcohol business Gatsby was in. Not even Daisy came to the wedding. The woman who supposedly loved him, the woman who would be the one dead if Gatsby didn't take the blame. How shallow and heartless can one be? Hundreds of people would come to Gatsby's house every weekend for parties, yet only about ten people showed up at Gatsby's funeral. It sure seemed like a messed up time these people lived in. Although its almost not surprising that no one showed up to his funeral because no one truly ever got to know him. Nick was probably the closest person to actually having a real friendship with him. At the end of the Novel Nick said that he decided that he was going to move back out west. I'm surprised that he even was able to stay out where he was for that long. The East was not for him at all. He was better than the people who lived their.
I really enjoyed this book. Their are many lessons I can take from this story. It was definitely one of my favorite books I have ever read. I loved the story and I constantly wanted to learn more about Gatsby which made me want to keep reading on. I also liked using the blog. I thought it was a cool and more relaxed way of discussing and reading the book. It was  a lot better then taking a quiz on each chapter. I also thought that the group discussions were effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment